It is my most humble opinion there isn’t anything better than waffles!
They can be served as a part of a savoury or sweet dish and be enjoyed any time of the day! I love them with bacon and maple syrup at the moment but fresh fruit is always a classic way to serve them.
This recipe is a simple starting place for tasty waffles. I love the subtle lemon and vanilla flavours in the base. It works so well with a range of toppings.
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- The zest of 1 lemon
- Juice from half a lemon
- 440ml semi skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the baking powder, salt and sugar, and mix.
- Zest the lemon and add it to the mix along with the juice of half the lemon.
- Add the eggs and oil. Pour in the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Cook as per instructions on your waffle maker.
- My favourite toppings are fresh fruit, bacon, yoghurt, maple syrup and even ice cream with extra sprinkles!
Can be eaten cold.
They taste brilliant reheated for lunch boxes.