Waffles are now my most favourite way to start the day! Whether I top them with healthy granola and yoghurt or fresh berries and cream or even go full out and enjoy the best brunch waffles were sweet and savoury come together to make something beautiful!
The best breakfast waffles to me are topped with smoked bacon, authentic Cornish clotted cream ice cream, bananas and a drizzle of maple syrup, plus a few sprinkles because why not! So simple but a wonderful idea and truly delicious.
- 300g plain flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- The zest of 1 lemon
- Juice from half a lemon
- 450ml semi skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Turn the waffle maker on to heat up
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the baking powder, salt and sugar, and mix.
- Zest the lemon and add it to the mix along with the juice of half the lemon.
- Add the eggs and oil. Pour in the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes
- Cook as per instructions on your waffle maker.
- Top with the cooked bacon
- Add a scoop of ice cream and top with the fresh banana and drizzle the maple. Plus a few sprinkles to really make the brunch look stunning!
I think I need to make these again now!