Advent Calendar Day 4 – Gingerbread Decorations
For the forth day of our advent calendar I thought a baking/decoration project would be fun.
This has to be one of my favourite tutorials I have done since I started making videos. It is really easy to make and they look fantastic hanging up – especially when you can just pull one off the tree and dunk it in your tea.
All you need to make this is a batch of gingerbread, round cutters, a straw, white sugar paste and snowflakes cutters.
Here is the recipe
Gingerbread Recipe –
60g unsalted butter
50g dark muscovado sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
160g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1.5 tsp of ground ginger
– Preheat the oven to 180°C,
– Prepare a baking tray with greaseproof paper or use a non stick tray.
– Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger & spices into a bowl and stir the melted ingredients into the dry ingredients to make a stiff dough.
– Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a medium saucepan, stirring so all the ingredients have combined.
– Remove from the heat and pour into the dried ingredients.
– If the dough is really crumby add a few drops of water to hold the mixture together.
– Roll out the dough – make sure your have floured the work top as it can stick.
– Cut out the shapes you want to hang in this case the circles and place them on a tray. When they are on a tray use a straw to cut the circles (to hold the ribbon to hang the gingerbread up with) through the gingerbread.
– Bake for 8-10 minutes until light golden brown.
– Once cool it’s time to decorate them.
To decorate I simply rolled out the sugar paste and cut snowflakes out and used vodka (you can use edible glue too of course) to fix the snowflakes to the gingerbread. It worked very well and they were really stuck on within about 20 mins (the time it took to clean up) and ready to hang up.
Here is the video on how I made and decorated them.
Happy Baking and Merry Christmas