Chicken Skewers Picnic Platter using Sainsbury’s Pastes
It’s the wonderful picnic time of year and my favourite thing to take on picnics is a pick and mix platter. I was lucky enough to be sent a selection of new flavour pastes from Sainsbury’s to try out and they worked brilliantly with this meal.
I used the Harissa and lemongrass paste for the chicken skewers.
Picnic for 4
– 4 chicken breasts cut up into a bite size chunks
– Harissa paste from Sainsbury’s
– Lemongrass paste from Sainsbury’s
– Olive oil
– Selection of salad items
– Pitta bread pockets
– Cut up the chicken and divide into two bowls.
– Add 1 tablespoon of harissa paste to one bowl and 1 tablespoon of lemongrass to the other.
– In each add a good glug/tablespoon of olive oil and mix the chicken in it well and leave for at least an hour or over night.
– Pop the chicken pieces on a skewer and grill or lightly fry until it’s cooked.
– Make up a platter full of salad and pitta bread and serve with the chicken.
– The chicken is very tasty hot or cold.
I’ve tried all the pastes and they all work really well as a marinade for chicken.
The Harissa is gorgeous, slightly sweet and really spicy.
The lemongrass was a brilliant choice for the chicken it had a brilliantly strong flavour – far stronger than I thought it would be.
The first batch of gorgeous chicken skewers ready to be grilled.
The chicken looked fabulous grilled and the pastes had coloured the chicken slightly which made it look really really good.
These pastes are great and are brilliant when added to lots of dinners. I was surprised by how strong the flavours are on their own and when put into other things. The basil and chillies are great in pastas, the coriander is lovely in risottos and they all work really well with meat.
Another lovely thing I’ve been making with the pastes is yoghurt dips. This one was a few tablespoons of natural yoghurt and a teaspoon of ginger paste with fresh oregano and a bit of pepper. Really lovely as a dip with chicken, lamb, burgers or even carrot sticks!