Hot Cross Bun French Toast
I love French toast and really fancied it at the weekend but as I was thinking about making it while still cuddled up in bed I wondered if it would work with hot cross buns instead of bread. It turns out it does work and it is incredible! I’m never having regular French toast again.
I served it with fresh strawberries and smoked bacon. The maple syrup with bacon and hot cross bun was so good! I wish I had eaten more of them at the weekend. Luckily there is still time to get hot cross buns to enjoy 🙂
– 4 large eggs
– 220ml milk
– pinch of salt
– 1 tablespoon of sugar
– 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, mixed spice and nutemeg
– half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
– 8 hot cross buns cut in half
– In a bowl whisk the eggs, milks, sugar, vanilla, salt and spices until combined.
– Heat a skillet to a medium/hot temp. I like a the skillet with the lines on as you get a great pattern on the buns.
– Add a teaspoon of unsalted butter to the skillet.
– Dip the bread in the mix and leave for a few seconds to soak all the way through.– Pop the buns on the skillet and bake until golden brown on each side. Add a little extra butter if needed.
– Serve with fresh fruit, bacon and maple syrup.
I love dunking the hot cross buns in the mix before pudding them on a griddle to cook. As the hot cross bun is thick you need to let them soak for a few seconds to get really gooey.
It was an absolutely delicious breakfast and it will be what I’m making over Easter weekend. Most likely more than once.