Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cake
I love chocolate and peanut butter so it made sense to make a cake that combined them into a delicious super delicious cake.
This is a really easy cake to make and tastes stunning. I added extra Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup to add more peanuts but it would have worked very well without.
For my recipe I have used free range eggs. I believe it’s important for us all to choose to buy free range and cage-free eggs. The chickens who supply us with their eggs deserve a nice life. I believe that eggs from free range chickens also taste better.
– 100g cocoa powder
– 300ml of hot water
– 120g butter
– 100g chunky peanut butter
– 280g caster sugar
– 4 medium free range eggs
– 280g plain flour
– half a teaspoon of baking powder
– half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
– 100g dark chocolate chips or Reese’s pieces peanut butter cups
For the filling
– 200ml double cream
– 200g dark or milk chocolate
– 2 teaspoons of unsalted butter
– Line 2 x 8 inch round cake tins.
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
– Stir the cocoa powder into the water and leave to cool. It will look gorgeously thick like molten chocolate.
– In a mixer cream together the sugar, butter and peanut butter until smooth.
– Add the eggs one at a time until they are mixed in.
– Sieve in the flour, bicarb and baking powder.
– Add the Chocolate chips and stir in.
– Mix in the cocoa powder mix together until incorporated. Don’t over mix.
– Divide the mix between the two cake tins and bake for 30 minutes.
– When it’s baked take it out of the oven and allow to cool.
– While it’s baking make the ganache to sandwich the layers together as it takes a while to thicken up.
-Melt the chocolate with the butter and double cream together in a bowl over hot water, stirring to help it combine. Make sure the bowl isn’t touching the water.
-Take off the heat and allow to cool and start to set. It should take a while for it to set to a good consistency to spread on the cake. If it sets too much you can put it back over hot water to melt it back down.
I added these lovely and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups into the mix to a bit more peanut and chocolatey goodness.
Chocolate chips work very well if you can’t get them.
Adding the cocoa liquid is really lovely. The cake will change colour beautifully and then it goes into the oven.
Here is the finished cake ready to serve. I was thinking about dusting it with icing sugar but I decided to keep it gorgeously as chocolate as I could.
Eat straight away and enjoy x