Cranberry and Mulled Wine Christmas Trifle
This has to be one of the best things I have ever made.
It is so delicious and feels like Christmas in edible form.
I’d recommend serving the trifle in individual glasses. It makes them very special and each one of these little cups was a brilliant size portion.
Here is my Christmas cranberry and mulled wine trifle.
This recipe makes 8-10 cups or 1 large bowl full. Makes about 4- 6 large portions or 8-10 smaller ones.
It’s perfect for making a few hours ahead of when you need it.
– 200ml mulled wine
– 400g fresh cranberries
– 4 tablespoons of sugar
– half a teaspoon of cinnamon
– half a teaspoon of mixed spice
– 20 sponge fingers broken up (2 fingers per little glass)
– half a teaspoon of ground ginger
– splash of sherry, enough for the fingers to absorb the sherry but not go too soggy.
– 100g blueberries
– 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
– 2 medium eggs, separated
– 60g caster sugar
– 250g mascarpone cheese
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 figs to decorate (optional)
– To make the mulled wine cranberry layer put the cranberries, mulled wine, sugar, cinnamon and mixed spice in a pan and soften gently on a low-medium heat. Once the cranberries are all mushy but while some are still holding their shape take off the heat and allow to cool.
– Separate the eggs and in a bowl cream the egg yolks with the sugar.
– Using a hand mixer add the mascarpone and vanilla and whisk until light and creamy.
– In another bowl whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and then fold into the mascarpone cream.
– Put the sponge fingers in a trifle bowl or use 2 sponge fingers per little glasses. Sprinkle the sponge fingers with a little of the ground ginger.
– Add the sherry so the sponge fingers are damp but not soggy.
– Add the cranberry and mulled wine sauce (now cool) to make a nice layer.
– Spoon in a small layer of the mascarpone cream mix.
– Add a layer of sliced banana.
– Add another layer of the mascarpone cream mix.
– Pop in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. You can make these a few hours in advance.
– Top the pudding with blueberries and serve.
Merry Christmas and happy festive food x