This delicious Lamb Meatball Salad is a perfect summer dish. Marvellous hot and minty meatballs, fresh crunchy salad with roasted tomatoes and creamy mozzarella.
These family favourites are a great dinner no matter what time of year. It’s also a fabulous thing to make a bulk of and pop in the freezer. I use lamb mince, garlic, dried mint, cumin, oregano and a little salt and pepper. Mix it all together and form balls. I tend to squash them a little so they cook easier.
I tend to make my meatballs about a bitsize size. Normally about half a tablespoon worth of mix.
OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner
My new kitchen gadget which is getting so much use during this brilliant heatwave, is the OXO Good Grips lettuce spinner. I always thought I wouldn’t really need one but once you get it and if you, like me, prefer getting a big lettuce and cutting it up rather than buying a bag of salad leaves then it’s so useful. It’s so quick and I was amazed at the amount of water that you can spin out.
The base bowl that the spinner sits in also doubles up as a fantastic salad bowl. It’s high sided and can fit in a lot of food. Brilliant for families, parties and of course BBQs while we have the great weather.
It’s also been very useful for drying fresh herbs without damaging them or breaking them. It’s also a lot of fun for kids (and big kids) to press the plunger and set the bowl spinning.
Find out more about the salad spinner here
Now we eat…
- 500g minced lamb
- 2 large cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons of dried mint
- 1 tablespoon or oregano
- handful of fresh mint
- Romaine lettuce x 2
- Fresh parsley
- 1 red chilli seeds removed (optional)
- 2 mozzarella balls
- roasted tomatoes (see link below) fresh or sundried also work
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Add the lamb mince, garlic, ground cumin, dried mint, orgeano and mint to a bowl and mix together. Roll in to balls and set aside until you're ready.
- Chop up the lettuce and wash. Add it to a serving bowl.
- Break up the mozzarella and add to the bowl.
- Add the chilli if you want to add some spice.
- Lightly chop the parsley and add it to the mix along with salt and pepper.
- Add in the roasted tomatoes. Keep the juice to one side.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the tomato juice and stir together.
- Cook the meatballs on a medium heat in a frying pan with a little oil until cooked.
- Add to the salad and toss together.
- Serve straight away.
-Works really well as a lunch box if there are left overs.
For the roasted tomato recipe click here