Strawberry and Balsamic Vinegar Herb Crust Chicken
For my Wimbledon inspired recipe I wanted to use strawberries in a different way than I usually do so I set my mind on using them in a savoury dish. I really like strawberries with balsamic vinegar and decided to use the acidity of the vinegar and sweetness of the strawberries to make a thick sauce for chicken. It worked incredibly well and tasted beautiful especially with the herb crust on the chicken.
I love using fruit in savoury dishes and now so much is in season I will be doing it a lot more.
- 200g strawberries
- 4 tablespoons of
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 mint leaves plus
- some for decoration
- 4 chicken breasts
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Slice the strawberries and add to a saucepan along with the balsamic vinegar, water and mint.
- Leave on a low heat for 10-15 minutes until the strawberries have softened and the liquid has thickened.
- While the strawberries are cooking heat up a little oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with the oregano and thyme and cook on a medium heat.
- The herbs will make a delicious crust.
- When the chicken is cooked, slice it into strips and drizzle the hot strawberry sauce over.
I first made this for Time & Leisure magazine for my food news page as recipe of the month.
I am lucky enough to be the food writer for the Wimbledon, Wandsworth, Putney & Barnes issue.
Let me tempt you with more savoury fruity recipes from brilliant bloggers
- Scallop Strawberry Salad with a Basil-Lime Dressing by Natural Kitchen Adventures
- Plum, Rocket and Feta Salad by Lovely Appetite
- Cider-Braised Pheasant with Shallots, Apples & Thyme by Kavey Eats
- Pork in Grapes by Fab Food 4 All
- Maple Tossed Rhubarb, Strawberry and Lentil Salad by Recipes from a Pantry
- Orange and Lemon Chicken Traybake by Foodie Quine
- Roast Pork with Apples and Cider Gravy by Supper in the Suburbs
- Duck Legs with an Orange & Chilli Glaze by Gingey Bites
- Cider, Apple and Sausage Casserole by Coriander Queen
- Strawberry, Cucumber and Mint Salad with a Pimm’s Dressing by Foodie Quine
- Pineapple and Melon Carpaccio by Food to Glow