Start Valentine’s Day off which a delicious heart shaped French Toast breakfast with sweet strawberry compote.
Enjoy my Valentine’s Day French Toast recipe
A delicious and loving made breakfast for Valentine’s Day, my French Toast served with a hot strawberry compote is the way to start the day in a romantic way!
Take a cookie cutters and cut the bread into hearts worked so well and the final dish looked amazing. I will definitely be trying different shapes next time we have this for brunch.
- 4 large eggs
- 220ml milk
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- slices of bread (I used Hovis best of both)
- tablespoon of butter
- 400g strawberries
- half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- half a teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Maple syrup (optional)
- Bacon (optional)
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar.
- Take a slice of bread and using a heart shaped cookie cutter cut the bread slices.
- To make the strawberry compote cut up the strawberries and place in a bowl.
- Add the vanilla extract, sugar and cinnamon and stir it.
- Pour the strawberries in to a saucepan with the water and on a low heat cook for 3-5 minutes until they are soft, but still holding their shape, and bubbling. Remove and set aside until the French toast is cooked.
- Heat a frying pan to a medium/hot temperature and add a teaspoon of butter.
- Dip the bread hearts into the mix and leave for a few seconds to soak all the way through.
- Pop the bread hearts in the pan and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Serve with the strawberries and a good drizzle of maple syrup. Bacon also tastes pretty great!
Brunch is a great time of day.
This has been the most loved recipe in my house since I came up with this combination this weekend, so I expect it to be used a lot more in the future. I don’t think I have ever eaten so much French toast in my life but heart French Toast was just too cute! It’s great to have a table of everyone wanting second, third or forth portions for brunch.
View more of my videos on YouTube