Summer Apple Carrot and Walnut Salad
My Summer Apple Carrot and Walnut Salad is a flavoursome and fresh salad perfect for parties and BBQs but also works really well in lunch boxes.
This is a fabulous salad. It’s fresh, crunchy, juicy and perfect for a warm evening. Plus it’s so easy to make and it will wow your friends and family. I love the addition of fruit in salads and apple has to be my favourite.
I love apple and carrot in salads during the summer. There is something delicious about adding fruit to a savoury salad. Walnuts are also a delicious and add that super earthiness flavour. I love how versatile this recipe is. It goes so well with other dishes and tastes great in lunch boxes too.
Summer Apple Carrot and Walnut Salad – Easy to make and delicious to eat.
What works so well for this dish is it’s so fresh. It’s also a great way to use up any fruit and vegetables that might be nearing going off. If the peppers have gone over a little pop them in the oven to roast them for 5-10 mins at 180ºC with a little drizzle of olive oil and some garlic. Then you will get some lovely roasted flavours being added to the dish. Enjoy them hot or wait for them cool a little before adding them to the bowl.
Garlic peppers go really well walnuts. It was surprising to me but it’s now a favourite.
Apple Carrot and Walnut Salad
- 200g mixed salad a mix of crunchy and soft leaves work well
- 1 carrot
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 Royal Gala apple
- 50g walnuts
- 50g baby tomatoes
- Lemon juice
- 60ml olive oil
- 20ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- half a teaspoon of mild/medium mustard
- On a large plate sprinkle out the mixed salad.
- Chop up the tomatoes and pepper. Add to the salad.
- Using a peeler, peel the carrot and keep peeling all the way through to make lovely strips.
- Cut the apple and remove the core. Thinly slice the apple. I used the mandoline to get them beautifully thin. Sprinkle with lemon juice to stop it browning. (The lemon juice on the apple works incredibly well with the salad dressing below.)
- Add the apple to the salad.
- Chop up the walnuts and sprinkle them over the salad.
- Put all the ingredients in the bottle and give it a good shake.
- Have a little taste to see if’s right for you. I like a more vinegary dressing so I usually add a splash more of vinegar.
- Dress the salad and serve straight away. If you have any left over it will last in the fridge for a few days.
I love the colours of this salad. Green and ruby leaves with bright orange carrot and peppers and soft cream apple with red skin. Not to forget the brown walnuts too.
If you are intrigued to try some more fruity yet savory salads here are some of the best from brilliant bloggers-
Pimms Summer Salad by Foodie Quine
Avocado salad with oranges, olives & watercress by Family Friends Food
Fresh Fig Salad with Cured Ham and Mozzarella by Supper in the Suburbs
Recipe: Kale, Chard, Watermelon & Avocado Salad by Fuss Free Flavours
Summer Figs and Mozarella by The Petite Cook
Other Salad Recipes to Try in you like my My Summer Apple Carrot and Walnut Salad