Apple and Chocolate Cake
It’s a simple cake to make but although the Apple and Chocolate Cake might not look like a beautiful cake the flavour really holds its own.
This is my new favourite cake! It’s like apple crumble but in cake form and with chocolate. Since spring has been slowly creeping through the morning frost I want to think of summer foods but it’s the winter puddings I’m missing. I decided to try this cake recipe to bring two great things together and works so well. Seriously delicious with a cup of tea or even a glass of milk. The recipe makes 2 loaves and it lasts a few days so is perfect for lunch boxes.
- 1 large cooking apples
- 3 regular eating apples (I used Royal Gala)
- A few tablespoons of lemon juice
- 250g unsalted butter
- 250g light brown soft sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 250g self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of mixed spice, nutmeg and cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 100g chocolate chips
- granulated sugar to sprinkle when cool
- Line 2 x 2lb loaf tins with liners and preheat the oven to 180ºC/160º fan.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one a time and mix in.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder in to the mix.
- Add the spices and chocolate chips.
- Peel and chop the apples in to small 1cm size chunks.
- Sprinkle on the lemon juice and using kitchen paper blot off any excess juice.
- Mix the apple in to the cake mixture and divide between the two loaf tins.
- Pop into the oven and bake for 40-55 minutes until golden brown and until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
Chocolate and apples are the best of friends – they go so well together.