Blueberry Friand Bars
Blueberry Friands are a super treat and making them in bars makes them perfect for picnics and lunch boxes. Made with ground almonds and fresh blueberries the Blueberry Friand Bars add such a unique sweet and sharp taste.
The fruity and nutty mix and the soft cakey texture of the Blueberry Friand Bars works so well when all combined. They are so much lighter then cupcakes and taste perfect with tea and coffee.
- 100g unsalted butter
- seeds from half of a vanilla pod or half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 120g icing sugar
- 40g plain flour
- 80g ground almonds
- Small sprinkle of cinnamon (optional but a delicious addition)
- 3 medium egg whites
- fresh blueberries
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- flaked almonds for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160º Fan
- Lightly grease a 12 Hole loose-based rectangle bar tin from Lakeland but you can also use fairy cake cases in the tin to cook them.
- In a pan gently melt the butter with the vanilla seeds or extract. Set aside to cool.
- Sift the icing sugar and flour into a bowl with the salt and add the ground almonds and cinnamon.
- Whisk the egg whites in separate bowl just until they start to thicken.
- Add the egg whites, melted butter and orange zest in to the dry ingredients.
- Stir together to combine using a metal spoon or spatula.
- Lightly coat the blueberries with the sugar.
- Spoon the mix in to the prepared tin and stud with a few blueberries depending on size and add a few of the flaked almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin and dust with icing sugar to serve.
- Or they are perfect to wrap up in greaseproof paper and take out for picnics and lunch boxes.
Add more blueberries… check out these brilliant blueberry recipes from other bloggers
Icelandic Blueberry Skyr Smoothie by Foodie Quine
Banana blueberry ripple ice-cream by Family Friends Food
Banana Weetabix Blueberry Muffins by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
Blueberry Crumble by Little Sunny Kitchen
Easy Vegan Blueberry Muffins by Recipes from a Pantry
Warm Blueberry Smoothie by Celery and Cupcakes
Zesty Lemon and Blueberry Madeira Cake by Supper in the Suburbs
Caramelised Blueberry Blondies by Tin and Thyme