Soft & Chewy Golden Syrup Flapjacks
These chocolate-dipped golden syrup flapjacks are the delicious, soft and chewy kind – and a layer of crispy chocolate on the outside can only help that!
When made the right way, a good soft flapjack is a very special treat indeed! I love a soft-set flapjack and my recent idea to add melted chocolate to the mix might just be a life-changing decision!
These chewy flapjacks are a real treat for kids and adults alike – they’re incredible! I could eat a batch a day and never get bored! They make a great packed lunch treat for kids too, although I’d recommend hiding a few away for yourself before anybody figures out that you’ve made them – they’ll be gone in seconds!
What do you need to make golden syrup flapjacks?
All of the ingredients for these soft flapjacks are very common. This is brilliant because it means that they should be nice and cheap to make!
You just need:
- Oats to form the base structure
- Condensed milk to make everything soft and sweet
- Golden caster sugar for a sweet, golden flavour
- Golden syrup to keep things sticky and chewy
- Butter to add fat to bind everything together
- Chocolate for you to melt to coat the flapjacks
How do you make soft, chewy flapjacks?
These simple chewy flapjacks are very simple to make – just add everything to the pan, melt it and then add the oats – it really couldn’t be easier! And once baked, they’re golden and delicious.
Then, just add the mix to a baking tin and bake until nice and golden brown. This helps the oats to absorb moisture and soften so that the flapjacks become just the right amount of gooey!
Just use a knife to carefully slice them up while they’re warm and you’re sorted! It’s important to do this while they’re warm as they’re softer at this stage, although it also helps to give you a good excuse to nibble on the crumbs!
Once they’re cooled, just melt the chocolate and dip! Or, for even more chocolatey flapjacks, try adding chocolate chips after the oats! You’d need to be quick so that they don’t melt, but it’s definitely worth a try!
Can I make different flavour combinations?
I already mentioned chocolate chip flapjacks, but to make chocolate-flavoured chewy flapjacks you can add 3 heaped tablespoons of cocoa powder into the mix as it’s melting – bonus points if you still add chocolate chips and dip in chocolate too!
Or, for chocolate and fruit flapjacks, just add 100g dried fruit and 100g chocolate chips! I find that cranberries and white chocolate are particularly great here. After all, cranberries are a gorgeous flavour to pair with white chocolate in any food, but especially with oaty, nutty things like these flapjacks!
You could also try adding orange zest to the cocoa powder version and dipping in melted chocolate orange for chocolate orange flapjacks!
Soft & Chewy Golden Syrup Flapjacks
- 600 g oats
- 200 g condensed milk
- 250 g golden caster sugar
- 3 tbsp heaped golden syrup
- 300 g butter
- 200 g chocolate I like dark but milk tastes good too.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC and line 9 x 12 inch tin with greaseproof paper. It's so much easier for getting them out.
- Add the butter, golden syrup, sugar and condensed milk to a saucepan and on a low heat melt together.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the oats.
- Spoon into the tin and level off. Cook for about 20 minutes until light golden brown.
- Cut them while they are still got and leave to cool.
- Melt the chocolate and dip the flapjacks in. I like dipping half so you get a mix of with and without chocolate.
Follow me on instagram to see what I’ve been making recently. www.instagram.com/sewwhite