Chocolate, Lavender and Cherry Cake
This is a very special cake. It combines my most favourite flavours of chocolate, lavender and cherry in a gorgeous show stopper of a cake perfect for special occasions and lovely for afternoon tea.
It is a beauty of a cake! It is the first three tiered cake I have done, apart form Madeira cake, and it is so easy I am definitely converted from two to three tiers. I just need to find a tall air tight cake tin to store them in.
- 300g unsalted butter
- 300g golden caster sugar or lavender sugar. If you don’t have lavender sugar add one tablespoon of ground edible lavender to regular caster sugar. I use a pestle and mortar.
- 100g dark chocolate
- 6 large eggs
- 220g self raising flour
- 1½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 100g cocoa powder
- 225g unsalted butter
- 450g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons of milk (you might less or more)
- 280g dark chocolate
- edible lavender to decorate
- cherry jam
- You will need three 8inch cake tins, greased and lined.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/ 160ºC fan.
- Melt the chocolate over hot water or in short bursts in the microwave.
- Cream together butter, sugar and lavender until light and fluffy.
- When the chocolate is cool to touch add it to the mix.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well.
- (-If you want to add a few cut up fresh cherries add them now but make sure they aren’t too juicy.)
- Sieve the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder in to a bowl and then fold it in to the mix gently.
- Divide the mix between the three tins and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tins for a bit before leaving to cool fully on wire rack.
- Make the delicious buttercream!
- Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer cream together the butter, icing sugar, vanilla and milk. Give it a good mix for 3 minutes and it will be super creamy and smooth
- Add the melted, now cooled, chocolate and mix in.
- When the cakes are cold, sandwich them together with a layer of cherry jam and then the chocolate buttercream.
- On the top tier cover it with a gorgeous layer of buttercream and a sprinkling of edible lavender. Don’t add too much as it is pretty strong.
- Serve with fresh fruit and enjoy.
I decorated it and served it with strawberries which really complimented the lavender, chocolate and cherries. I love fresh fruit with cake.
I cut a 6 inch circle from greaseproof paper and placed it top. Once I had added the lavender I removed it to get the lovely outline of edible lavender.
Inspired to bake with edible lavender? Check out these gorgeous bakes.
Lavender and Honey Cake by Supper in the Suburbs
Chocolate Lavender Parfait by Tin and Thyme
Chocolate Lavender cake by Tin and Thyme