Spring is in the air and it’s the perfect time to start with the summer bakes! My first really summery cake recipe for this year is my Pimm’s Roulade.
The cake is very fresh, fruity and with a touch of alcohol this cake will be a great centre piece for parties, barbecues and summer events. It will also be a perfect thing to make to enjoy while watching the tennis Championships from Wimbledon. It is definitely served best with a glass of Pimm’s in the sunshine. My Pimm’s Roulade looks hard but is a lot easier to make and tastes brilliant.
For this recipe I tested out the new roulade tin from OXO Good Grips. It was brilliantly non stick and although I over filled the tin a little which resulted in a bit of a thicker roulade than planned. It still rolled beautifully and tasted great – and that’s the main point! A lovely tin. Find it here.
Let’s get ready to roll…
Pimm’s meet cake. My extra special with my Pimm’s Roulade
- 1 tablespoon of butter for greasing
- 4 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 30g unsalted butter
- 400ml double cream
- strawberry or berry jam
- 50ml Pimm’s
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (160 fan) degrees.
- Line and grease a roulade tin.
- Add the eggs and sugar to a heatproof bowl and place over simmering water making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- Whisk until the sugar has dissolved and the mix is warm.
- Remove from the heat and using an electric whisk, whisk on high for for 5 minutes and then reduce to a low speed for 3 minutes until the mixture has tripled in size.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and then gently fold into the egg and butter mix.
- Melt the butter and add a spoonful of the egg mix to it and stir before folding it back into the egg/butter/flour mix.
- Spoon into the roulade tin and bake for for 15 minutes.
- When the roulade has cooked, remove from the oven, cover with a slightly damp tea towel. This will help it stay soft and easy to roll.
- While it’s baking cut up a few strawberries (4-8), a quarter of a cucumber and a few mint leaves and mix together with the Pimm’s.
- Once the roulade has cooled turn out on to a piece of greaseproof paper. This will help you to roll it.
- Spread a layer of jam on the roulade.
- Whisk up the double cream until it’s thick and holds it’s peaks. Spread a layer on top of the jam.
- Add the Pimm’s soaked strawberries, cucumber and mint mix. Save the Pimm’s for later.
- Using the greaseproof paper for grip start rolling.
- Using the left over Pimm’s drizzle it over the roulade.
- Add the remaining cream to the cake and stud with more strawberries, cucumber and mint.
- Enjoy it straight away. If you do have any left over store in the fridge in an air tight container.
Eat, drink and be merry…
If you want to try another Pimm’s recipe check out my Pimm’s Cake
Disclaimer – I was given the roulade tin to use. Recipe and opinions are my own.