Royal Wedding Lemon and Ginger Flapjacks
With the Royal Wedding proving a great inspiration for baking I’ve joined in for my local street party with these lemon and ginger flapjacks. With so many delicious cakes being made I wanted to try something little different but still as delicious and special for a party. Any excuse to bake and at a tea party this week I wanted to make something special for those who were gluten free.
I love flapjacks for GF options but I decided to make them extra special by adding the iconic lemon and ginger flavours which I don’t think are that common in flapjacks. They taste sweet but manage to keep their lemon juicy boost. The flavours make them taste very light and they are perfect to enjoy with a cup of tea while watching the wedding on TV or at your own street party.
- 250g condensed milk
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 3tbsp heaped golden syrup
- 300g unsalted butter
- 600g Gluten Free oats (don't use instant porridge oats)
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 100g icing sugar
- a few drops of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC and line 9 x 12 inch tin with greaseproof paper. It helps getting them out easily.
- Add the butter, golden syrup, sugar and condensed milk to a saucepan. On a low heat melt together and keep stirring until all combined.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the oats, lemon zest, lemon juice and ground ginger.
- Spoon into the tin and level off.
- Cook for about 20 minutes until light golden brown.
- Cut them while they are still hot and leave to cool.
- I like a little drizzle of lemon icing on them but they taste really good without too.
- Mix the icing sugar with a few drops of lemon juice until you get a good slightly runny consistency. Drizzle over the flapjacks and enjoy.
Pin on Pinterest for later!
Check out these brilliant recipes from the best foodies for more Royal Wedding inspiration
Royal Wedding Lemon & Elderflower Meringue Swiss Roll Recipe by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary