My latest foodie adventures includes Pancake Day Inspiration with chef Arup Dasgupta.
Pancakes are great to enjoy all year and the excuse of pancake day means getting to flex your flipping skills and enjoy one (or five) pancakes. The best thing about pancakes is how versatile they are. Do you have them sweet? savoury? or a mix of both?
For pancake day this year I was treated to a lesson with master chef Arup Dasgupta on how to make the best Scotch pancakes. Most importantly how to decorate and top them to get the best flavours and most delicious dish you can.
Check out a sneak peak video of what he treated us too.
A little about our cuisine maestro…
Arup has worked in the finest Western and Indian restaurants having started his culinary journey helping his mother cook traditional Bengali cuisine in Bokaro Steel City in India.
It was Arup’s time in France which has shaped his unique style when it comes to creating and presenting his dishes. It was here he was able to combine his love for the spices and flavours of Indian food with the craft and presentation skills from haute cuisine French training.
Having spent 20 years travelling the world and honing his incredible skills as a chef, Arup Dasgupta is constantly composing culinary masterpieces that will delight and amaze.
Let’s get on to the pancake inspiration
Avocado, smoked salmon with a sprinkling of nuts and seeds and creme fraiche on the side.
Poached peaches, fresh raspberries, blueberries and blackberries with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Such a stunning sight to top pancakes – fresh berries and physalis too!
Arup suggested having a sprinkling of matcha tea over the pancakes and although I was little sceptical the flavour of the green tea would have it was incredible. Definitely a flavour combination worth trying.
The last plate was definitely the posh pancake! Smoked salmon and caviar on cream.
The pancake de résistance.
Fresh berries, fennel flowers, fig compote, nuts and seads, physalis, creme fraiche and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Feeling inspired? Get flipping!
Arup Dasgupta has kindly shared with us a great Scotch pancakes recipe with peach compote perfect to make for pancake day!
- 4 table spoons self-rising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- A small pinch of salt
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml milk
- 4 sprays of sunflower oil
- 4 peaches (about 150g)
- 30 g sugar
- First make the compote, add the fresh peaches and sugar to a non-stick pan and cook until caramelised. Set aside.
- For the pancakes, sieve the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a bowl.
- Whisk the egg yolks until they are fluffy, add milk. Stir.
- Add half to the dry ingredients to the egg and milk mixture and whisk until you have a thick and lump free batter. Gradually add the second half of the liquid while whisking and carry on until the batter is lump free.
- Heat a non-stick pan. When hot add a couple of sprays of sunflower oil and rub with a kitchen towel. Add a ladleful of batter. Leave to cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn with a rubber spatula, and cook on the other side. Set aside and cook the rest.
Read my piece on the Parisian Dinner with #NCSupperClubs and Arup Dasgupta here
Follow #NCSupperClubs on social media to find out more about their exclusive supper clubs in London.