San Lorenzo – At A Glance Review
San Lorenzo, founded in 1969, is a historic and delicious part of Wimbledon’s history and present. It’s still run by the same family who pride themselves in authentic Italian cuisine bursting with flavour. The restaurant at the bottom of Wimbledon Hill opposite the library is made up of four dining rooms and beautiful courtyard perfect for Al Fresco dining in the warm summer months.
- A beautiful main dining room with spacious tables and giant pieces of art on the wall makes it a feast for the eyes while you wait for the feast for your tummy.
- What we ate; for starters we enjoyed the Calamari Fritti (fresh fried calamari with chilli tomato dip) and the Melanzana (grilled aubergine, buffalo mozzarella, parma ham, oregano). The calamari was crisp on the outside and soft on the inside and a stunning mouthful to enjoy with the chilli tomato dip. The grilled aubergine with mozzarella and Parma Ham has to be one of the best dishes I have ever had. These simple yet pure flavours are classic for a reason and these were prepared in a way to enhance the flavours and make delicious unified dish.
- The main course consisted of Zuppa Di Mare, a fresh seafood soup with calamari, prawn, shellfish and sea bass. Along with the Ravioli made with buffalo mozzarella and pomodoro and olive oil. The soup of the sea was strong and filled with large pieces of fish, prawn and shellfish which made it look so rich, sustaining and succulent. Pasta is the classic dish and with my love of mozzarella it was my obvious choice. It was stunning. It had a beautiful flavour of tomato and the cheese in soft, delicate and freshly made pasta.
- Dessert had to be the Italian classic Tiramisu. One of the best desserts in my opinion and San Lorenzo didn’t disappoint. Creamy custard, coffee, cocoa on top and served with fresh fruit. What could possible be better!
- Check out the
- A wonderful restaurant perfect for families, romantic dinners, meals with friends, birthdays and so much more. San Lorenzo caters for all and it’s this family, up-scale yet very accessible and inviting atmosphere which makes people return time and time again.
- The main dishes are go between £10 (for pizza) and £30 for a whole Dover sole, so they have a dish to suit every budget.
- Set menu for 2 courses is £18 and 3 course meal is £24. For such brilliant and tasty food the price for their set menu I think is wonderful.
- Will I be going back – absolutely!
- I can see why and how from the food, service and atmosphere it has been a hugely popular restaurant in Wimbledon for so long. I expect it to be making incredible food in SW19 for a long time to come.
Make sure you visit San Lorenzo. As well as dinner they are also open for lunch!
38 Wimbledon Hill Road, London SW19 7PA