Christmas Strudel Wreath
This beautifully easily dessert take about 30 minutes to make (unless you make the cranberry layer earlier), 10 minutes to cook and only a few minutes to enjoy. It is made with the beautifully thin filo pastry which is so lovely to build up into crispy layers. I used my special home made cranberry sauce for the middle layer between the mince meat and the fresh apple. It added a beautifully sharp but also fruity sweet flavour to the overall dish.
The delicious stages of the Christmas wreath strudel. Starting off with a single layer of filo pastry cut into a circle (to fit your baking tray), you then using strips of the filo pastry stuck together with melted butter to build up the wreath shape. The first stage of filo pastry was only about 8 layers so it would be sturdy enough to hold the filling. The first layer was the mince meat, the second the cranberry layer and the third was fresh thinly sliced apple. Then using the rest of the filo pastry I build up the wreath to make sure the filling was covered. I then cut out the middle circle and then the final layer I added thin strips to build up a texture which would be lovely when it was served. It added a great crunch to the final dish!
- 1 x 270g pack filo pastry ready rolled sheets
- 200g mincemeat
- 300g cranberries
- 200ml mulled wine
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- half a teaspoon of cinnamon
- half a teaspoon of mixed spice
- 1 eating apple thinly sliced add a little lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of demerara sugar
- To start make the mulled wine cranberry sauce. Part put the cranberries, mulled wine, sugar, cinnamon and mixed spice in a pan and soften gently on a low-medium heat. Taste a little and if you want it sweeter add a bit more sugar. Once the cranberries are all mushy but while some are still holding their shape take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan.
- With one sheet of filo pasty cut a circle to fit your baking tray.
- With the remaining sheets cut in to strips about 5cm wide.
- Brush the circle piece with melted butter and add the strips to build the wreath shape, leaving the middle empty so you can cut it out before you cook it.
- Build it up to about 5 layers to make a strong base.
- Add a layer of mincemeat to the wreath.
- Add a layer of the cranberry sauce on top.
- Add the sliced apple to the wreath, sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
- Using the remaining filo pastry build up the top of the wreath with layers of pastry and melted butter. Save a few pieces to decorate.
- When you’ve got a good wreath formed cut up the remaining pastry into thin strips and twirl it up and stick it on top to add a lovely texture.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown. Serve straight away with custard, cream or ice cream.