Beef Stew with Mustard Croutons
My Beef Stew with Mustard Croutons is a delicious beef stew made even more fantastic with the mustard covered bread on top which adds a rich heat to the finished dish.
Beef Stew with Mustard Croutons, mustard bread beef stew
- 3-4 shallots
- fresh chilli to taste
- stewing beef about 450g
- 2 parsnips
- 2 carrots
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pint of beef stock
- 2 tins of tomatoes
- splash of red wine
- 1 teaspoon of mustard Maison Maille fresh wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon of dried or fresh thyme
- 1 baguette
- Maison Maille fresh wholegrain mustard for the baguette.
Preheat the oven to 140-150 degrees.
- Chop the onions, shallots and chilli and soften with a splash of oil in a oven proof casserole dish on the hob.
- When the onions are soft add the beef and lightly brown off.
- Peel and chop the carrots and parsnips and add to the onions and beef. Soft for 5 minutes
- Add the stock, tomatoes, teaspoon of mustard and the splash of Worcestershire Sauce and wine. Season with salt and pepper and the dried thyme.
- Stir everything together and pop in the oven for 1h30 minutes.
- After 1h30 slice the baguette into good chunks about 2 inches wide. Coat one side of the baguette with wholegrain mustard.
- Pop into the baguette pieces into the stew - don't push them down too far as you don't want the pieces soggy.
- Cook the stew with the baguette in for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.