My Blueberry and Lemon Bread and Butter Pudding is so light and fluffy yet it is filled fresh flavours and is the perfect crowd pleaser for pudding.
I loved creating this recipe. I have always loved bread and butter pudding because it reminds me of family dinners as a child. Now as adult it is something I want to make more.
I love how golden brown the bread goes and when the blueberries start to pop and the gorgeous purple juice starts staining the bread.
A gorgeous recipe needs a gorgeous oven proof dish
Using my brand new Le Creuset Stoneware Heritage Rectangular Dish I feel so much happier about presenting the bake as the gorgeous colour makes it easy to cook and serve in the same dish.
Blueberries are a lovely addition to the bread and butter pudding as they give it an extra bit of fruitiness and sweetness.
My friends rushed round to enjoy this once it was out of the oven. Safe to say they were annoyed at having to wait for me to photograph it. A great pudding that really brings people together.
Pin me for later
Blueberry Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
It is such an easy recipe to make. Super tasty too. I love the mix of the the hot fruit and the creamy custard which had soaked through the bread.
Using vanilla pods is a bit of a luxury but it’s worth it for the superior taste you get in the final bake.
This bake is looking up! It is so satisfying to cut the triangles and position them in the beautiful oven dish. I did use the blueberries to hold the slices up and also keep them spread out evenly. Everyone deserves to find a blueberry.
Just before it goes into the oven the smell of the custard and lemon is wonderful however it only gets better as it cooks.
How to make the Blueberry and Lemon Bread and Butter Pudding
It is a simple dish to make and I hope my how to photos make you want to make it.
1)To make the custard place the whole milk milk, cream and vanilla pod with its seeds scraped out together in a saucepan. Place on a medium heat. 2) Place 6 eggs and 1 yolk in a bowl 3) In a bow whisk them together with the caster sugar.
4)Grease the oven proof dish with melted butter and a pastry brush. 5)Remove the custard from the head before is starts boiling. 6)Mix the custard with the eggs until combined.
7)Butter the slices of bread, remove the crusts and cut into triangles. Place in the oven proof dish point up. 8)Add the blueberries and pour the warm mixture over. Sprinkle over the zested lemon and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
Easy Bread and Pudding with blueberries
You can almost the smell the lemon. It’s beautifully golden brown and tasted so wonderful. I ate so much of this bake and everyone had seconds.
Blueberry and Lemon Bread and Butter Pudding
- 1 pint full fat milk (568ml)
- 600 ml double cream / heavy cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons caster sugar
- 800 g loaf of thick cut bread (I used Hovis best of both)
- 50 g slightly salted butter softened plus extra for greasing
- 200 g blueberries
- zest of 1 lemon
- To make the custard place the whole milk milk, cream and vanilla pod with its seeds scraped out together in a saucepan. Place on a medium heat and stir as it comes up to a boil. Take it off the heat before it boils.
- In a bow whisk the eggs and extra yolk with the caster sugar.
- Slowly pour the warm milk and egg mixture over the eggs, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Grease a large ovenproof dish approximately 32cm long. I used melted butter and pastry brush to paint it on.
- Butter the bread on each side. Cut the crusts off from the bread slices and cut diagonally to make triangles.
- Layer the triangles in the dish with the points upwards.
- Scatter the blueberries in the dish.
- Zest the lemon and sprinkle over the top.
- Remove the vanilla pod from the custard and pour the warm mix over the pudding.
- Leave to soak for at least 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 180C (160C fan).
- Bake for 35-40 mins until golden brown.
- Serve straight away. Keep any left overs in the fridge and eat within a few days.
Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
If you like this you might also like these recipes
Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Disclaimer collaboration with Le Creuset. Recipe is my own