Lemon Spice Cakes
I absolutely love these Lemon Spice Cakes. They are a delicious mix of lemon citrus, sweetness from the cake and spice which tastes like Christmas. They are the perfect Christmas bake which make tasty edible gifts and are also fabulous for a festive Christmas party treat. These mini cakes are so tasty and perfect to make with children too.
AD This recipe is in partnership with Le Creuset. Recipe and opinions are my own.
These little cakes are a wonderful Christmas bite and perfect as a quick Christmas bake. The mix of lemon and spice is a beautiful combo and will become addictive. Or at least it is to me. I love lemon cakes and this is just the latest in my lemon cake portfolio.
On my red and white Christmas table I stacked up the beautiful plates and bowl from Le Creuset. To fill the gap of bright white in the bowl I used a little star cake. I think this made it look so cute!
It was a very popular little bite of cake before the meal. Everyone dived right in for theirs. I really liked adding something home made and foodie for the place setting. Felt very me to use food. If I was better at icing I would have written everyone’s names on the cakes but I think that will take a bit more practice.
I’m sure it’s well known by know that I love bakeware which lasts. My latest and very well used already is this star cake tin from Le Creuset. It so super non stick and makes the most beautiful little cakes. I’ve also used it for brownies and flapjacks as well as cakes. I’m sure I will think of more things to use it for too. It’s only £15 too which, I think, is such a great price for a quality non stick item.
Lemon Spice Cakes as place settings
Christmas Food Recipe Inspiration
Lemon Spice Cakes
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 175 g lemon yoghurt
- zest of half a lemon
- 175 g plain flour
- half a teaspoon mixed spice
- half a teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- tiny pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/175ºc fan.
- Grease the cake tin with melted butter and dust with plain flour.
- Optional for decoration – Cut a slice of lemon and cut that into the quarters. Dab with kitchen paper and dust with flour Place in the bottom of the star.
- In a stand mixer or by hand, cream the butter at room temperature and sugars until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix together.
- Mix in the yoghurt.
- In a separate bowl, measure and sieve out the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and the mixed spices.
- Sieve in the flour gradually and stop when the flour is evenly mixed in.
- Divide the mix into tin. Over the lemon slices if you've added them.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for a few minutes to cool slightly and remove to cool completely on a wire rack.
Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Follow me on Instagram to see what I’ve been making recently. www.instagram.com/sewwhite