These Blackberry and Lemon Cupcakes have a jammy centre from a blackberry which is absolutely incredible. These are a next level bake!
It’s Autumn and that means blackberry bakes need to happen. I love blackberries and I will use them anyway I can. They bake so well and it’s surprising how much they can be used in. From sweet to savoury dishes. I had to go for sweet first of course and decided to whip up a tasty batch of blackberry and lemon cupcakes first. I love how the blackberries glisten after.
Jam centre cupcakes
It is so easy to make these cupcakes extra special by adding a blackberry to the centre of the cupcake. Once cooked the blackberry will reduce down into a squidgy jam and it will be wonderful. It is great to find and no one expects to find it. I usually add a little mix to the bottom of the cupcake cases. Add a big blackberry and then top up the mix over the top. Hidden centre cupcakes are definitely a lot of fun!
There is still time to enjoy the huge amount of in season British fruit and my favourite is blackberries. This summer I have been using them in everything and they are a joy to bake with. These very fresh tasting cupcakes (or are they muffins?) are so simple to make and very easy to enjoy. They are also lovely as a lunch box treat!
Just look at that beautiful blackberry centre. You wouldn’t know it was there unless you took a bite or cut in to it. For these cakes I don’t want to add a lot of icing to the top. A bit swirl of buttercream I feel would take away from the soft and delicate taste of the cupcake. I wanted to add a little icing so I went for a simple icing sugar drizzle, some lemon zest and topped with a blackberry.
Blackberry and Lemon Cupcakes
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 lemon (zest and juice of one lemon – save half the zest for the decoration)
- 200 g self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- 50 ml milk
- 250 g blackberries
- 200 g icing sugar / confectioners sugar
- water (a few tablespoons)
- Line a 12 cupcake hole tin with cases.
- Preheat the oven to 180º/160ºfan.
- You can do this in a mixer or by hand.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, the lemon juice and half the zest and mix in.
- Sieve in the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the milk and stir.
- Add one tablespoon of mix into all the cases and top with a blackberry. Cover with the remaining mix and bake for 10-15minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a rack before decorating.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and add the water gradually to get a thick but movable paste.
- Put a blob of icing over each cupcake, sprinkle with the remaining zest and stud with a blackberry.
Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Follow me on instagram to see what I’ve been making recently. www.instagram.com/sewwhite
8 thoughts on “Blackberry and Lemon Cupcakes”
saw this on twitter and just had to check it out! What a great flavour combo 🙂
Thank you so much 🙂 I hope you enjoy it x
They look so cute Sisley! Yum – quite fancy one now with a nice cup of tea and a sit down….!
Thank you so much. They go very well with tea, I’m sure you’ll enjoy them x
such a great flavour combination. i love blackberries, will be sure to try this
Thank you Roz. I am obsessed with blackberries and lemon at the moment they work so well.
Oooh, I reckon my kiddoes would love this.
Definitely one for big kids to enjoy and easy enough for little kids to make x