Doughnut waffles are so fun and quick to make. They make great treats and special weekend brunches. Best served with ice cream and fresh fruit.
Doughnut waffles are one of my favourite quick fixes brunches at the moment. They are so fun to make and can be served with so many toppings. I love ice cream and sprinkles but they also taste very good with bacon and maple syrup, drizzled with molten chocolate or even with Greek yoghurt and fresh berries.
I used the Krispy Kreme original doughnuts as their crisp icing melts so well in the waffle iron. When you remove the waffles from the iron the sugar which is now soft will harden again slightly. It keeps it tacky but it is a delicious texture with the warm doughnuts.
I loved topping the doughnuts with ice cream and fresh strawberries. It was beautiful mix of flavours and textures. I also went to add a few sprinkles to make it look even cuter. I used mini meringues, white chocolate stars and red sprinkles. This would be a great breakfast for children to help with as they can decorate them once the parents have cooked them.
It can be made all year and made seasonal with different toppings. For autumn I am thinking a jam compote to drizzle over. Maybe for Christmas a cranberry compote with warming cinnamon and spices. Bacon is already a very popular choice for these in my house but I think fresh fruit and yoghurt has to be my favourite so far. I am sure there will be loads of different topping selections explored when we try them again.
Follow me on instagram to see what else I am creating in the kitchen @sewwhite
Doughnut Waffles Recipe
- 8 original glazed Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
- 200 g Strawberries
- ice cream we used birthday cake ice cream from Ben & Jerries it is delicious
- Heat up the waffle iron (I have a Von Chef which works very well but can take a while to warm up).
- When the waffle iron is hot add the doughnuts in and close the lid. You might want to hold the lid slightly so they don't get too squashed. As they are already cooked, you are just warming them up so they take about 1-2 minutes at most.
- Remove from the waffle iron and decorate with delicious ice cream, sprinkles and fresh fruit. Serve straight away and enjoy.
To make the heart shaped strawberries cut the strawberries in half and use a cookie cutter to punch the shapes. Save any off cuts for smoothies.
I think these look so pretty and I can’t wait to have them again. Quick to make and quick to eat.
Pin me for later
Check out my other recipes