There is nothing better in spring is enjoying seasonal asparagus. Especially when it’s used to make a delicious asparagus and chorizo risotto.
This is a simple dish which is packed full of flavour and topped off with beautiful seasonal asparagus. It’s a great store cupboard dish and one that can be adapted to whatever you need. If you want to make it vegetarian use only vegetable stock and leave out the chorizo.
It takes a while with all the stirring but it’s worth it I promise. Wine definitely is worth using in the asparagus and chorizo risotto. The wine will be absorbed into the rice before the stock. It adds such a great flavour for when you’re eating it.
Seasonal asparagus and chorizo risotto
I love asparagus and when it’s seasonal and not flown in from other countries it is delicious. It tastes earthy and like this asparagus crop they usually are a lot larger than normal. These were huge! I think we only needed 2 person. They could have been a meal on their own. I loved them.
If I do have some asparagus I do tend to have them as a snack sometimes with tender stem broccoli. I cook them with a little butter, garlic and chilli and they are amazing.
It does look like a lot of ingredients which could put you off but please don’t be. Once you’ve made it once you will see how simple it is. It is a little bit hands on. I find chopping everything a bit annoying sometimes especially when I’m hungry. However once that task is done all you will be doing is stirring. Keeping it moving in the pan and adding more liquid is the main way you will be spending your time spent when making this dish.
Pin me for later
Seasonal Asparagus and Chorizo Risotto
- 1 onion
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 60 g chorizo thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- red chilli to taste
- 400 g risotto rice
- 100 ml white wine
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 litre boiling water
- 1 pepper chopped into slices
- 100 g sundried tomatoes chopped up
- 50 g Parmesan freshly grated
- dried oregano small sprinkle
- dried thyme small sprinkle
- 150 g asparagus
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped (optional for the asparagus)
- Parmesan grated to sprinkle on top
- Finely chop the onion and celery.
- In a frying pan heat up the olive oil and add the onion, celery and chorizo.
- Allow the onions and celery to soften on a low heat.
- When almost soft add the garlic and chilli and allow to soften.
- Add the risotto rice and allow the rice to absorb the oil and fat from the chorizo.
- Add the wine and let the rice absorb it.
- Dissolve the stock cubes into the boiling water.
- Add the sundried tomatoes, chopped pepper and Parmesan.
- Add a ladle of stock at a time until the rice has absorbed each one.
- Keep stirring the risotto the whole time. Season with salt, pepper and the dried herbs.
- Meanwhile steam or griddle the asparagus. I would recommend melting the butter into a griddle pan, add some garlic and the asparagus and on a medium heat cook through.
- Serve the risotto with the asparagus on top and sprinkle with extra Parmesan.
Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Follow me on Instagram to see what I’ve been making recently. www.instagram.com/sewwhite