Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar Tart
For a rich and fruit tart try my Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar Tart. The mix of sweet vanilla, fruit strawberries with the acidic balsamic works a treat.
The heatwave has finally subsided and I can get back to baking. With my new Le Creuset stoneware heritage round dish in the beautiful strawberry red colour I knew what I would be making! Ta-Da it’s my Balsamic Vanilla Strawberry Tart.
I tried out this recipe last year and was surprised how popular it was among my friends. So I’ve fine tuned it and here it is! It’s a simple dish made with puff pastry and topped with sugar sprinkled strawberries. Once in the oven and nearly cooked I drizzle a mix of balsamic vinegar and vanilla extract over the top. Pop back in the oven for a few minutes and serve straight away. It has an interesting flavour and I agree does sound weird at first but trust me the hot strawberries, crispy pastry and bitter and sweet mix of drizzle topping is incredibly moreish.
Balsamic Vanilla Strawberry Tart
I placed the strawberries upwards after cutting off the top, onto a puff pastry bed. Sprinkled granulated sugar over the top and bake until the pastry starts to go golden brown. Remove from the oven then and drizzle over the balsamic vinegar and vanilla extract. Pop back in the oven for a few minutes and serve when still got. It tastes wonderful with a dollop of creme fraiche.
Preparing the Puff Pastry for the Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar Tart
To measure the round dish for the pastry I laid the dish on top and pressed down to mark out the base. I then cut a 2 cm boarder around that to act as the crust for the finished tart.
I placed the puff pastry in the bowl. Using melted butter I brushed the boarder, to give the final tart a beautiful crispy brown look once cooked. This way it also gives the tart a little dam to hold the balsamic vinegar and vanilla extract in when it’s added. Even though you aren’t adding a lot of liquid it keeps it from running down under the pastry and sticking the pastry to the bowl.
I love how this tart looks in the bowl! It’s so gorgeous. The strawberries are glistening and the pastry is beautifully golden brown. It looks great and what I like about all the Le Creuset pieces is that they are perfect for going straight from oven to table.
Balsamic Vanilla Strawberry Tart
- 1 pack of ready rolled puff pastry
- 400 g strawberries
- 1 tbsp butter (melted)
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Take out the puff pastry from the fridge 20 minutes before you want to make the tart.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees/180 fan.
- Unwrap the puff pastry and lay out on a floured work surface. Place the dish on top to make out the size. Cut out the circle for the dish with a 2cm boarder.
- Place the puff pastry into the dish and with a pastry brush, brush the melted butter around the boarder.
- Cut off the green leaves off the strawberries and place them points up on top of the pastry.
- Sprinkle the granulated sugar over the top of the strawberries and place in the oven for 10 minutes and check. If it's just lightly golden brown remove from the oven and drizzle over the balsamic vinegar and vanilla extract and pop the tart back into the oven for 5 minutes until golden brown
- Serve straight away and enjoy. Enjoy hot or cold once cooked.
Follow me on instagram to see what I’ve been making recently. www.instagram.com/sewwhite