Chicken and Pesto Pasta with Broccoli
Chicken and Pesto Pasta with broccoli and sundried tomatoes is a family favourite for dinner but also perfect to have cold for lunch boxes.
Simple dinners are a brilliant thing especially when they taste as gorgeous as this dish. This is one of my most go to dishes and it’s definitely about time I shared it with all of you.
It’s a very popular quick meal in our house during the summer months and all year for lunch boxes as it tastes surprisingly good cold. If you’re going on a picnic or want a delicious dish to go for a party or event then this Chicken and Pesto Pasta works perfectly.
I love it because it’s light and healthy. The other reason is that it is incredibly easy to make. It is a good mix it all together and serve dish. Perfect for easy meals, great for children and very versatile.
In the dish I use fresh parsley and it is now on the list of my favourite herbs. The smell and taste it gives is unrivalled to anything else. It has that earthy green flavour that feels healthy and fresh. I do keep trying to grow fresh parsley in my garden but haven’t had that much luck yet. Any tips for growing it will be very helpful indeed.
As well as being simple to make it’s also pretty healthy. Steaming broccoli until it’s still a bit al dente works very well with the softness of of the tomatoes and pasta. I really hate over cooked broccoli. I want it with some bite left. If I have time I would sometimes pop it in a frying pan with a little butter and garlic on low. This keeps the brocolli with the perfect mix of softness, flavour and bite.
Pin me for later
Chicken Pesto Pasta with broccoli and sundried tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 glug olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts
- 150 grams pesto shop bought or make your own
- 150 grams sundried tomatoes
- handful of fresh parsley
- 200 grams tenderstem broccoli
- Chop the red onion and add it to a pan with the olive oil on medium heat.
- When the onion is soft add the garlic and leave to soften.
- Slice the chicken and to the pan.
- When the chicken is nearly cooked add the pesto and mix in.
- Put the pasta as per the cooking instructions. 10 minutes before the end add the broccoli to a colander and place over the pasta to steam for about 8-10 minutes.
- When the pasta is nearly cooked add the sundried tomatoes and a little of oil they’re in plus the parsley to the chicken. If the mix is a little dry add a little stock or water.
- Drain the pasta and mix it into the chicken along with the broccoli.
- Serve straight away. Any leftovers are perfect to enjoy the next day for lunch boxes.
Follow me on Instagram to see what I’ve been making recently. www.instagram.com/sewwhite