Sausage and Lentil Pasta Sauce
A rich and warming dish for winter nights is my dad’s Sausage and Lentil Pasta. Cooked with chorizo and tomatoes it’s a great healthy and tasty dish.
Sausage and Lentil Pasta is a hearty dish and one that has become incredibly popular in our house in the last few weeks. My dad is the creator of this dish and has been perfecting it regularly. It’s also tasty served with bread instead of pasta or served with rice. It’s a great versatile dish and we hope you enjoy it.
A new dish deserves a new pan
As an early christmas present the kitchenware company Horwood have given me a beautiful new Stellar non stick sautee pan. As well as beautifully shiny on the outside and made with a thick non stick layer but what I love most is the extra handle. Opposite the long handle is a smaller handle which makes it so easy to pick the pan the up and move it. I’m not very strong and I’m always worried I will drop pans when moving them from hob to serve up but now I feel so much more confident moving it. A small detail which can really make a difference.
As well as super non stick it’s also so quick to wash up. Two qualities I love more than anything when it comes to kitchenware. I’m sure I’m not alone in that.
As a family of left handers and right handers having the pouring lips on each size makes it lovingly multi-handed. The glass lid, with silicone rim, makes it easy to check on your food while it’s cooking. Plus you know the silicone rim is sealing the pan but also not breaking the non stick coating.
What a Christmas present to receive for this foodie.
To find out more about this glorious saute pan click here to be taken to the product page.
How to make the Sausage and Lentil Pasta
Slowly soften the onions in the olive oil and butter. Stir in the chopped up sausages and chorizo.
Add the carrots, garlic and lentils.
Add the tomato puree, passata and chopped tomatoes. Leave to simmer for 45 minutes and serve.
Sausage and Lentil Pasta Recipe
Sausage and Lentil Pasta
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 8 sausages
- 50 g chorizo
- 1 carrot
- 2 teaspoons ready garlic (or 2 cloves of fresh garlic)
- 1 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 250 g Cooked Puy Lentils (Merchant Gourmet microwave pack is good)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 courgette
- 500 g passata
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pasta of choice
- A few leaves fresh basil
- Peel and chop the red onion and add to a pan on a low/medium heat along with the oil and butter. Slowly cook until the onions are soft.
- Meanwhile cut the sausages into bite-size chunks and add them to the softened onions. Cook until the sausages are browned on the outside.
- Add the chorizo for extra taste and colour. Keep stirring.
- Chop and cube a carrot and add to the mix.
- Add the ready garlic or fresh garlic to the pan and stir. Make sure to keep your eye on the dish to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Add the white wine vinegar.
- Stir in the cooked put lentils
- Mix in the tomato puree and stir.
- Chop the courgette and add it to the pan.
- Stir in the tomato passata and the tin of chopped tomatoes.
- Leave on a low heat to simmer for 45 minutes. Taste to see if you need salt and pepper.
- Serve with pasta of your choice and top with a fresh basil leaf.
Spooning out the delicious sausage and pentil pasta sauce. Proper winter warming dishes.
Dinner is served
Check out my other main meal recipes
This dish was gifted to me in exchange for a review. All opinions and the recipe are my own.
Other dishes you might enjoy
perfect for spring, summer autumn and winter meals outside or have it
cold in the lunch box.