Cookie Jars are a fabulous gift and one I give often for birthdays and Christmas. All you need to do is add melted butter and an egg to dried ingredients, roll into balls and bake. Delicious cookies in minutes.
These Cookie Jars are so easy to make and are such great gifts. The jars are glass so recyclable and reusable which is always an eco friendly bonus, plus the contents make delicious cookies. Scroll down to find out how to make this perfect present yourself, or contact me to buy one ready made!
Each Christmas I make these jars to sell at local fairs and for events. If you are interested in buying one ready made email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to order yours. £6 each or 3 for £15, plus p&p, but I offer free local delivery to addresses in the SW19 postcode. As well as the smarties cookie jars that will be featured in this blog, I also make white chocolate and cranberry ones too. I also have brownie jars available too, with either walnuts or extra chocolate chips.
Using a coffer tamper or a spoons is a perfect way to compact the ingredients down to make these beautiful defined layers.
I usually try and find 0.5L jars to make these but most places like Lakeland (6 for £15.99) offer the jars in the photos which are 490ml. So you have to sacrifice a few smarties and a tablespoon of oats but the recipe still works. The best jars I have found are from Ikea and are £1.25 each for 0.5L. They also have a glass top so for those I add the smarties last to they look more colourful.
Constructing the Cookie Jars
Freshly made cookies
Pin me for later
Check out my other Christmas recipes
- half teaspoon salt
- half teaspoon baking powder
- 120 grams plain flour
- 60 grams light brown soft sugar
- 75 grams caster sugar
- 75 grams oats
- quarter teaspoon cinnamon
- quarter teaspoon ground ginger
- 100 grams smarties
- Taking a 0.5 litre jar, spoon in the ingredients one at a time in the above order. After each ingredients use a spoon or coffee tamper to push the ingredients down until they form a compact layer. This will help get all the ingredients to fit in perfectly.
- Make a label for the jars, so your giftees know how to make the cookies.
- To make your cookie jar you will need 90g of melted unsalted butter and 1 medium egg.
The cookie jar label
- 1)Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. 2)In a bowl empty the jar and mix together with the melted butter and the egg. 3)Spoon out the heaped teaspoons, or tablespoons if you want larger cookies, of the cookie mixture on the prepared baking sheets. Leaving space between the cookies as they will spread. 4)Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool. 5)Enjoy at your pleasure!
You might also love these recipes which are perfect for gifts.