Easy Strawberry Rum Cocktail
*the glasses and rum are gifted – recipe and content is my own*
Fresh strawberries, rum and ginger ale are a match made in heaven. This easy Strawberry Rum Cocktail is the perfect way to cool down on a hot day, or warm up on a cold day with the delicious spiced rum. This strawberry ginger cocktail is a wonderful summer drink, an easy party cocktail to make at home and is also an easy rum cocktail. As a refreshing rum strawberry cooler, you easily make a large jug and serve it at a summer party or event.
What rum can I use for the strawberry cooler?
There are so many rums available but I have rounded up my top 5 which will work for this summer strawberry cooler recipe. They are all utterly delicious and you can’t go wrong using any of this recipe.
- Rumbullion! Spiced Rum. This is a rich and spicy rum which is brilliant all year round. In winter it works with cranberry flavours to make a Christmas flavoured cocktail. However in summer it works incredibly well with the strawberry and lime to add a tropical flavour to the mix.
- Dead Man’s Fingers Spiced Rum. This rum is slightly lighter but doesn’t have a strong flavour like Rumbullion!. It’s still delicious and is a great choice for making cocktails at home as it’s blended in a way to be mixed.
- Kraken Black Spiced Rum. This is a darker rum which can be a bit strong for fruity cocktails like this. However if you love a deep rich dark rum then try it!
- Sailor Jerrys Spiced Rum. There are rich vanilla tones with warm hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. I find Sailor Jerry’s works incredibly well with cranberry cocktails.
- Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. This is a great spirit on the cheaper end of the scale. It has a nice medium strength taste and is hugely adaptable for cocktails.
Rumbullion! Spiced Rum Cocktails – Gifted bottle
In this recipe I was lucky enough to experiment with the beautfiully bottled and delicious spiced rum by Rumbullion!
This beautiful spirit is rich and spicy and really brings out and compliements the fresh fruit and herbs in this cocktail. Although the rich spices can bring out the feelings of Christmas and winter spices this rum is hugely adaptable to summer cocktails as well as winter ones.
How do I turn the strawberry rum cocktail into a pitcher amount?
The easiest way to turn this strawberry cocktail in to a pitcher of cocktail is to muliply the amounts by 10. There is also a serving number on the recipe below which you can increase to make more and it will work out the amounts for you. This recipe is easy to increase and serve as a pitcher but it’s also easy to multiple drinks at the same time.
What equipment do I need?
I would recommend that you use gin bowls or the large gin style glasses which are available everywhere. Even the local supermarket had some basic ones which are a perfect start. Especially if you love a gin and tonic. The do look extra special when in tall bowl type glass. If you don’t have these style of glasses a tall hi ball glass would work too.
For this easy cocktail recipe you don’t a shaker. It’s a simple pour it in and give it a little stir. It saves so much time and helps get the drinks out quicker. Plus it leaves a lot less washing up!
A jigger or measuring jug. when making cocktails it’s best to use a jigger which has the smaller amounts in millitres. You can find them on Amazon and even in supermarkets. A jigger has the small amounts like 12.5ml and 25ml which are common in cocktail making.
Gold rimmed cocktail glasses
These beautiful cocktail glasses with shiny gold rim are possibly my most favourite drink accessory at the moment. They were kindly gifted to me from Sassali – a lovely homeware shop in Wimbledon. The shop is onthe broadway and a must be on your list of places to visit. The shop is filled with beautiful pieces including kitchenware, homeware, decorations, candles and the most beautiful fragrance sticks.
At the moment you can only shop in store but if you fall in love with these glasses it’s definitely worth a visit. https://www.sassali.co.uk/
What to serve with a Strawberry Rum Cocktail
There are so many things you can serve with this strawberry rum cocktail. It works with both sweet and savoury dishes. It is great with nibbles and starters before a meal too. It’s hugely adaptable. My top dishes I would serve with the cocktail are;
What rum is best for cocktails?
There is a huge range of rums available and it can be a bit daunting knowing what to use them for and if they will work with what you’re thinking. The three main types of rums are white, dark and spiced. From there you can go into different brands and varients of the flavours.
White rum is often used in cocktails like mojitos, where you want a crisp clean flavour that won’t interfer with the ingredients too much. A dark rum is often used for richer drinks as it a stronger flavour which needs to be used and complimented with the other ingredients. Spiced rum offers a lovely rich spicy flavour which is great for winter cocktails as it uses a mix of winter spices. It is also great for cocktails all year as that spice is truely moreish. Spiced rum definitely has my vote as the best.
Other drinks and cocktails you might enjoy for you party
Pin me for later or follow me @sewwhitefoodblog on Pinterest for my latest recipes and to discover of my others.
Strawberry Rum Cocktail
- Glass Tumbler
- chopping board
- jigger or measuring jug
- 300 g fresh strawberries
Strawberry Rum Cocktail
- ice cubes
- 4 tablespoons strawberry puree
- 25 ml spiced rum (white or dark rum also work)
- 12.5 ml lime juice (the juice of half a medium lime)
- ginger ale
- fresh mint (to use as a garnish)
Making the strawberry puree
- Set aside a strawberry or two for garnish.
- Hull the strawberries and then chop them in half.
- Pop the strawberries into a blender and pulse until it is smooth.
Making the strawberry rum cocktail
- Add a few ice cubes to the glass or tumbler.
- Add 4 tablespoons of the strawberry puree to the glass.
- Measure and add the rum and lime juice.
- Gently give it a stir.
- Top up with ginger ale.
- Add the fresh mint as a garnish and serve.
Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only.