This is such a special little cake but is so easy to make and delicious to enjoy. It is a little fancy/ grown up bite size cake which is packed full of flavour.
The mix between raspberries and almonds is beautiful. This is my absolute favourite cake to make and enjoy at the moment. Hands down beats cupcakes!
Plus it is easy to make gluten free, just replace the plain flour with 50g of gluten free plain flour.
- 100g unsalted butter
- seeds from half of a vanilla pod or half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 120g icing sugar
- 40g plain flour
- 80g ground almonds
- Small sprinkle of cinnamon (optional but a delicious addition)
- 3 medium egg whites
- fresh raspberries
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- flaked almonds for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160º Fan
- Lightly grease a friand tin - I used a 12 Hole Loose-Based Mini Sandwich Tin from Lakeland but you can also use fairy cake cases in the tin to cook them.
- In a pan gently melt the butter with the vanilla seeds or extract. Set aside to cool.
- Sift the icing sugar and flour into a bowl with the salt and add the ground almonds and cinnamon.
- Whisk the egg whites in separate bowl just until they start to thicken.
- Add the egg whites, melted butter and orange zest in to the dry ingredients.
- Stir together to combine using a metal spoon or spatula.
- Lightly coat the raspberries with the sugar.
- Spoon the mix in to the prepared tin and stud with 2 or 3 raspberries depending on size and add a few of the flaked almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Store in airtight box, if you don’t eat them all straight away, and they’ll last a few days.
Perfect to enjoy with a cup of tea or two.